I am quite impressed with the Web 2.0 features that the New Orleans Times-Picayune and NOLA.com have incorporated into their website! You can:
- Follow the hurricane blog at http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/schleifstein_blog/ and subscribe to a RSS feed for the blog.
- Follow the newspaper’s latest headline updates on Twitter at http://twitter.com/NOLAnews
- Bookmark your favorite blog posts and articles to your social bookmarking service, such as del.icio.us.
- The use of Cover It Live on the blog at http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/schleifstein_blog/
- Subscribe via RSS to the Hurricane Gustav photo gallery and view a cloud tag for the photos.
I don’t think they have a YouTube Channel for the hurricane or a Flickr account at this point, but that may change as this historic and menacing storm barrels toward the Gulf Coast. Hopefully, these tools will help disseminate information in a timely and helpful manner. I also discovered the National Hurricane Center is testing out Hurricane Gustav podcasts—these are brief updates on the storm.
For now, my prayers and good thoughts for safety and comfort go out to anyone who may be in the path of this hurricane.