If you haven’t heard about the new GALILEO toolbar, go and get your toolbar. NOW! This is one of the most exciting additions to our GALILEO toobox, and I think it is one that will pump up student usage of what GALILEO has to offer. After watching the YouTube video last week and then seeing Courtney McGough’s fabulous presentation at GALILEO Gold, I am ready to have my tech guys roll out this add-on to give our students and teachers an easy entry point to GALILEO.
If you go to the GALILEO presentations page, you will see two PowerPoints. The first one is for you as a librarian; the second one is for use with your teachers and students. You can also download an instructional/informational PDF handout by clicking here.
You can download the toolbar for your institution by going to this page: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/scholar/databases/libx/?Welcome . You will need to sign in with your institution’s GALILEO password to get the version for your district.
A few things to know:
- The add-on will work for Firefox or Internet Explorer—just pick the option that works for the browser you use.
- You cannot install the institution for multiple institutions in one browser. For example, if you are a teacher in Cherokee County and a graduate student at UGA, you must choose which toolbar you want for a particular browser. However, you could run one toobar in one browser (for instance, Cherokee County in Explorer) and the second institution in another (UGA toolbar in Firefox).
- Changes can be made to the menu (for example, if you wanted to have NoveList or Academic Search Complete added), but your district must agree—all users within your district would see the changes, not your individual school.
- You can highlight text in something like a Wikipedia article or Amazon page; right click, and you can then search for the highlighted term or author’s name in the GALILEO database of your choice!
- You can adjust settings for your toolbar by location; see your district network guru for assistance with this task. You would want to customize it with your network administrator before it is pushed out via an image or login script.
- Additional help options and information are available at http://www.galileo.usg.edu/scholar/databases/libx/?Welcome .