We’re celebrating YALSA’s Teen Tech Week here at Norcross High and love this year’s DIY theme. We’re doing a combination of high tech and low tech activities with students this week; students can sign up to come during their lunch/guided study period to participate in the activities while eating lunch and enjoying the company of their peers.
On Monday, March 10, we spent three fun-filled hours creating friendship bracelets and tech cord and accessory covers with our students! We provided some tutorial videos and print-outs of “how to” instructions, but together, we learned by doing. Students shared their newly discovered tips and tricks as they experimented with different techniques and learned through experience. Our teens loved having time during the day to relax, socialize, and create together, and we are thrilled that we can offer opportunities for playful learning during the day like this that can either spark interest or nurture existing ones. The feedback was so positive that we now are working on incorporating a crafting area for students into our learning studio design for next year.
Resources for Day 1:
- Video Tutorial for Using Embroidery Floss to Craft Earphone Covers
- Wiki How: Making a Friendship Bracelet
- Sparkling Friendship Bracelet Headphones
- More visuals on friendship bracelets and tech cord covers from Apartment Therapy
- We purchased multiple packs of embrodiery floss with many colors at JoAnn’s (hint: use the 40% coupons available online and in their print flyers).