In 2010-11, we used our Kindle eReaders for recreational reading; for the 2011-12, the library is looking to support classroom novel studies by purchasing sets of Nook Simple Touches to support literature circle studies in content area courses as well as whole class readings of specific texts. Students will have a choice as to whether they prefer to read a print copy of a text or if they would prefer to read on the Nook Simple Touch. As of this morning, we have submitted an order for 50 Nook Simple Touches, 50 covers, and 50 two-year warranties.
Why are we going with the Nook Simple Touch? Here are some of the features we like about the Nook Simple Touch:
- a battery life of up to two months
- touchscreen technology
- lightweight and ultra portable
- no web browser, which means fewer distractions for students
- students cannot purchase or download content
While the device has tremendous appeal, the new tools for content and device management is the real selling point for us as a K12 school. Here is a summary of the new program Barnes and Noble Managed Program and that I’m posting here with permission from my local sales representative.
The program is called B&N Managed Program (featuring digital lockers) and it provides easy, turn-key solutions to address concerns and needs of a K12 environment. The program offers everything from greater bulk discounts/pricing on some NOOK units and ease of account management. The Barnes and Noble Managed program offers these solutions:
- No credit card will be required to purchase e-content
- Schools can purchase eBooks using a P.O. after an account has been set-up.
- When placing new orders for devices and content, schools will receive bundled packaging. B&N will register the device, install any accessories you as a school or library would like, download the product (e.g. list of eBooks), and ship them to the customer ready to use.
- Schools with existing devices can place an eBook order through the store. They just need to send a list of titles to B&N and B&N will download the product to their digital locker. The customer will receive an email confirmation and then sync their device to view their new titles.
- B&N does all of the work for the school! We will register the devices, set-up their accounts and download their specified content to their digital lockers. These downloads will be customized to the customer’s specifications – by classroom, grade level, etc. In short, however you need the content, we will deliver!
While this is not a perfect solution nor one that allows schools to deliver ebook content to student owned devices or across multiple platforms, this is a more viable solution for the needs of the K12 environment in terms of options that meet our purchasing needs and ability to manage the content effectively and efficiently while giving us a means to offer students a digital reading experience that we hope will engage readers of all ages and prior reading experiences. I’m excited that B&N will help me create collections of my devices and facilitate the delivery of our ebook content to the appropriate devices as needed to support student learning in content area study/reading as well as recreational/leisure reading. In addition, devices are password protected so that students cannot make unauthorized purchases or downloads.
I will be documenting our journey of learning with the Nooks through the new Nooks at the Unquiet Library LibGuide page I’ve created, so please bookmark this new site or subscribe to the RSS feed for the guide as I populate data and materials to share with everyone.